What is sinus surgery?
Sinus surgery is an aggregation of some procedures that aims to open the route of the blocked sinuses and clear the sinus blockages to get relief from the sinus complications.
Sinus infections, abnormal sinus structure, abnormal growths in the sinus are the common complications to perform a sinus surgery.
Why do you need a Sinus Surgery?
Some patients face more complex problems with their sinuses. Sometimes there is no other way without a sinus surgery to get relief from their problem. Then the doctor suggests the patients for a sinus surgery.
In case of chronic sinusitis (inflammation of the nose and sinuses), doctor commonly suggests this surgery.
Functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS): In case of this surgery, the surgeon commonly uses a tool called endoscope. In this century, it is the most common type of sinus surgery in the world. It is an outpatient basis surgery.
In this surgery, a nasal endoscope is inserted into the nostril to reach the openings of the sinuses as well as to observe the entrances to the sinuses.
Then the surgeon passes micro-telescopes and surgical instruments to perform his surgical procedure.
The surgeon uses these surgical tools to remove obstructive tissues and other blockages to clear the pathways or route of the sinuses.
In case of this surgery, some swelling may occur and the patients may feel little discomfort. Patients should not worry about it, the swelling will disappear within a short period of time.
Image-guided surgery: Image-guided surgery is a newer procedure that may be recommended for severe forms of sinus blockages or after previous sinus surgeries.
Doctor recommends this surgery in case of severe forms of sinus blockages. The specialist suggests Image-guided surgery to the patients having previous surgery history.
Benefits of the sinus surgery:
- This surgery will enlarge the openings between the sinuses and the inside of the nose
- It will remove the blocked drainage pathways of the sinuses, tumors or growths blocking the sinus passage
- Removal of the infected or damaged sinus tissue, mucous membranes, thin pieces of bone or polyps
- Air can get in your nose and drainage can get out properly
There are different types of sinus surgery and so the complications are different. Complications of this surgery are so much rare. Some complications are here:
- Intracranial complications
- Damage to the eye or vision
- Problems to the surrounding tissue of eye
- Person’s voice change
- Brain injury
- Loss of taste or smell
- Brain fluid leak or infection
After sinus surgery:
You will be able to return to your normal life after a number of days performing the surgery. After the surgery, you may experience stuffiness in your nasal passage.
Follow these steps after your surgery:
- You should use an extra pillow during sleeping
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Please don’t blow your nose for a week after the surgery
- Take medicine or antibiotics according to prescription
- During sneezing you should try to keep your mouth open
- Follow-up visits with your doctor
- Take help to clean out excess blood or mucus
- Follow all the instructions of doctor for a quick recovery
Is it normal to be having ache and pain in nose and sinus Minty days after sinus surgery?
Yes. You have to face having ache and pain in nose and sinus Minty days after sinus surgery. It is a normal condition after this kind of surgery. Don’t take panic for this.
Dry air or moist air which is better after sinus surgery?
Air with low humidity makes irritation and pain in case of sinus. Air with humidity is good for sinus. You can use humidifier. Humidifiers add moisture to air. Doctor suggestion: Adding humidifiers to air is good in case of sinus problems.
What is the alternative of sinus surgery?
The doctor can prescribe you these medications to avoid the sinus surgery. Here some alternative treatments for you:
- Nasal saline sprays
- Nasal decongestant sprays
- Nasal steroid sprays
- Oral steroids
- Allergy medications
What will be my diet after Endoscopic Sinus Surgery?
- After endoscopic sinus surgery you can take the normal diet.
- You can eat low-fat foods. I will suggest you to take plain rice, broiled chicken, toast, and yogurt as low-fat foods.
- You should take a fibre supplement in a daily basis. Please meet with your physician for any diet suggestion according to your region.