Sinus Surgery Recovery Time or Timeline
Doctors suggest sinus surgery in case of extreme situation. Sinus surgery concept is not new at all. Everyday technical system is upgrading and the sinus surgery systems are also developing.
The recovery time in case of sinus surgery depends on the surgery techniques, technology, severity of sinus problems, and medical understanding.
It may take several days or a few weeks to get recovery from the sinus operations. It is an average duration in terms of sinus surgery.
Sinus surgery recovery time off work:
After the surgery you don’t need to stay in the hospital for a long time. You can come to your home after 2-3 hours after completing a successful sinus operation. Need 1 week off of work to recover.
How long is sinus surgery recovery?
You will take rest at least 4 days after the sinus surgery. From the day 5, you can do regular physical activity and others normal activities. A good doctor will instruct you not to do heavy work before of the full recovery from the sinus surgery. For a full recovery you should wait for 3 weeks.
Preauricular sinus surgery recovery:
In case of preauricular sinus surgery, it takes generally between 1 and 2 weeks, but sometimes can take as long as 3-4 weeks.
Balloon sinus surgery recovery:
In case of balloon surgery, patients can go home after a few hours. They can do their regular activities after almost 24-48 hours. You should not do strenuous activities after one week of this surgery.
Endoscopic sinus surgery recovery:
After the surgery you may face mild bleeding for 1-2 days after endoscopic sinus surgery. Recovery time or timeline is about 1-2 weeks after surgery.
After Sinus Surgery:
Sinus surgery recovery time is very important. On the basis of sinus surgery recovery time, activities after surgery depends on.
- It is normal to have some bloody discharge. The first 2-5 days after sinus surgery, some bloody discharge can come out.
- In case of steady bleeding after surgery, tilt your head back slightly and breathe through your nose gently.
- Please avoid any kind of nose blowing.
- Doctor can suggest you to use Afrin spray to stop the bleeding conditions.
- Several sprays generally stop any kind of bleeding after surgery.
- Please call in a doctor if there is steady or severe nasal bleeding problems.
- You should not take aspirin. It slows down the blood coagulation as well as increases bleeding after the surgery.
- For the first several days after surgery the patient may face some nasal and sinus pressure and pain.
- Most of the patients generally feel very weak for the first week after surgery. This is normal and the doctors usually suggest to the patients to take at least 1 week rest to recover.
- Nasal congestion and discharge: You may face nasal congestion for the first few weeks after surgery. The patients generally come to the normal life after 2-3 weeks after the surgery.
Some Medications after Sinus Surgery:
Doctor can suggest you to take some special pain relief medication for early recovery. Doctor can also prescribe you corticosteroids.
The specialists don’t usually recommend aspirin and ibuprofen. Aspirin and ibuprofen both can interfere with your blood pressure. You can use saline spray after the surgery. Nasal spray moistens the sinus passage and you will feel good after applying it. Some medications influence the sinus surgery recovery time.
Complete recovery of the sinus surgery can take several months or weeks. Good post-operative care is very important after sinus surgery. It helps you to get an early recovery from the sinus surgery. It reduces the sinus surgery recovery time.You need a close follow-up with your surgeon for an early recovery after the sinus surgery. Click To Tweet
When to call in a Doctor after Sinus Surgery?
If you feel any kind of severe abnormalities after the sinus surgery, you will call in a doctor. There are some following severe conditions at which time you need to call in a doctor:
- Fever higher than 101°F after the day of the sinus surgery
- Constant clear watery discharge after the first week of surgery
- Sudden visual changes
- Extreme eye swelling
- If the sinus surgery recovery time becomes more longer
- Severe headache
- Complex neck stiffness
- Severe diarrhea
- After using Afrin if your nose bleeding doesn’t stop, you can call in a doctor.
How to improve the Sinus Surgery Recovery?
- Post-operative care is an important issue after sinus surgery. (Post-operative care means taking care of the patient after any operation)
- After the surgery, you need to meet with your physician in a regular basis for the betterment of your early recovery.
- Clean out your nose with the help of your doctor or surgeon.
- You need a close follow-up with your surgeon for an early recovery.
- Sterile saline solution is very important in case of sinus irrigation.
- You should also sleep with your head elevated for two to three days
After 2-3 days of your surgery, you need to use extra pillow to elevate your head. You should do it for the better nasal airflow. It may reduce the sinus surgery recovery time.
- Please avoid heavy exercise and sports for three to four weeks to prevent bleeding.
- Find a good, experienced physician or a surgeon who can help you until your recovery.
- You should firstly learn how to do sinus irrigations. It helps to minimize sinus surgery recovery time.
- Learn the strategy of keeping your allergies under control.