Venous Sinuses of Brain
Dural Venous Sinuses (DVS)
Dural venous sinuses are a group of sinuses or venous channels located between the two layers of the dura mater that drains venous blood circulating from the cranial cavity.
The dural venous sinuses of brain are also called as dural sinuses, cerebral venous sinuses, or cranial sinuses.
The dura mater has two layers. They are:
- The inner or meningeal layer,
- The outer periosteal or endosteal layer.
There are mainly two types of Dural Venous Sinuses of brain. They are:
- Paired Dural Venous Sinuses of brain
- Unpaired Dural Venous Sinuses of brain
Paired Dural Venous Sinuses of brain:
- Transverse sinus
- Cavernous sinus
- Sigmoid sinus
- Sphenoparietal sinus
- Basilar venous plexus
- Superior petrosal sinus
- Inferior petrosal sinus
Unpaired Dural Venous Sinuses of brain:
- Superior sagittal sinus
- Intercavernous sinus
- Occipital sinus
- Inferior sagittal sinus
- Straight sinus
- Intercavernous sinus
Function of Venous Sinuses of Brain
We know that the venous drainage system does not follow the arteries of the brain. They drain to the dural venous sinuses, which afterwards drain to the internal jugular vein.
- The dural venous sinuses drains all of the venous blood within the cranial cavity.
- It delivers the blood back to the cardiovascular circulation through the internal jugular vein.
- Before reaching the heart, the blood drains into the superior vena cava.
- It collects blood from brain, meninges, orbit, and internal ear.
Dural venous sinuses receive blood from internal and external veins of the brain. It also receives cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) from the subarachnoid space.
Venous Drainage of Brain
The venous sinuses drainage is complex. It has a unique process. You already know that it does not follow the arterial supply.
- Superior sagittal sinus drains into right transverse sinus.
- Inferior sagittal sinus drains into straight sinus.
- Straight sinus drains into left transverse sinus.
- Sphenoparietal sinuses drains into cavernous sinuses.
- Occipital sinus drains into confluence of sinuses.
- Transverse sinus drains into sigmoid sinus.
- Sigmoid sinus drains into internal jugular vein.
Dural Venous Sinus Thrombosis (DVST)
It is a type of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST = blood clot in the brain). Dural Venous Sinus Thrombosis (DVST) can affect both men and women of any stage of age. This problem arises in case of women who are pregnant or on birth control pills.
Risk Factors of DVST
There are some causes of dural venous sinus thrombosis (DVST). Some risk factors are included below:
- Steroids, or hypothyroidism
- Abnormalities of the skull
- Infections of the mastoid sinus
- Sepsis or connective tissue disorders
- Iron deficiency anemia
- Folic acid deficiency
- Skull trauma
Symptoms of DVST
In case of dural venous sinus thrombosis, you may face some symptoms. The symptoms of dural venous sinus thrombosis are mentioned below.
- Decreased or changes in the consciousness
- Decreased or blurred vision
Diagnosis of DVST
There are some diagnosis systems in case of DVST. When you face the severe problem with the symptoms of DVST, doctor can suggest you these exam to diagnosis your problem.
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Cerebral angiography
Veins of the Cerebrum
The veins of cerebrum carry blood from the brain tissue, and deposit it in the dural venous sinuses. They are divided into two groups.
- Superficial Groups and
- Deep groups.
Superficial System or Groups
- Superior Cerebral Veins
- Superficial Middle Cerebral Vein
- Inferior Cerebral Veins
- Superior Anastamotic Vein
- Inferior Anastamotic Vein
Deep System or Groups
- Subependymal veins
- Medullary veins
At what stage of life is cerebral thrombosis common?
Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis may occur in all age groups. According to the opinions of the doctor, it is rare. Two to Four cases are found per 1 million of people.
Is a headache a sign of blood clot?
Yes, clotting in your brain may cause headaches. You may also face confusion, seizures, and speech problems. Sometimes it causes weakness.